Friday, January 07, 2011

No muy Bonita

Quote from the interview in the Metro

Didnt you nearly die on Everest?

I could have done. The lowest moment was having to ask for help. It's an incredibly dangerous environment but having to ask Sherpas to come from camp to help me down was the worst moment of my life. Asking them to put their own lives at risk to help me was heartbreaking -I thought I was better than that.

What happened?

I got a neck injury on the way down from the summit because of bad posture and carrying the backpack. My neck froze up, I couldn't move it and it became painful to walk. It was late in the day with bad weather. Thats when I had to call for help and radio the Sherpas.

Were you conscious?

Yes. there have been stories saying I was unconscious and close to death but I was awake through the whole thing and walked into camp that night.

I know it was for charity and all so I cannot slag her too much. This part just jumped out at me though, gdidnt she just get a bit of a sore neck? whats with the nearly dying nonsense? Poor little rich kid.

2 comments:

calton1954 said...

I remember you not coming to work because of 'sore ribs' Dawg. Now SLC might not quite be Everest, but still, let he who is without sin sink the first pint etc.

meesterboom said...

Broken ribs!!! A tad more painful than a Crick in the neck!